How we work
The Institute for Rheumatology Research supports collaborative research to find innovative ways to prevent the onset, treat the symptoms, and ultimately bring cures to patients suffering the pain and disability of rheumatic and musculoskeletal diseases.
- We bring together scientists and doctors from different fields who are engaged in the research and treatment of rheumatic and musculoskeletal disorders.
- We foster inquiry: from basic research to understand the fundamental processes of rheumatic disorders; through translational research to open paths to new treatments and therapies, to clinical research to directly benefit patients.
- We support established leading Swiss scientists, but also young researchers to sustainably strengthen Switzerland as a location of scientific excellence.
- We finance projects by established Swiss research groups with their own infrastructure to minimize administration costs.
- In keeping with the vision of our founder, Prof. Jürg Tschopp, we believe that even basic research can and must make a difference in patients' lives. Our activities are dedicated to the well-being of patients.
- The institute supports independent research. Donors may have no influence on the direction of the work or the diffusion of results.
- Given the multifactorial nature of rheumatic and musculoskeletal diseases we support multidisciplinary approaches in a participatory and collaborative environment.